Hunting Safari Outfitter South Africa
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ• You can book your hunt through Neil or through his office staff. If you would like, I can assist you with this process as well. Let us know at this time if you are a rifle hunter or a bow hunter.
• E-mail your completed reservation forms to NB Safaris . Include as much information as you can as it will help them serve you better.
• Wire your deposit to the account of Neil Barnard. The banking information is in your NB Safaris folder. The amount of the deposit will be subtracted from your final account at the completion of your safari.
• Secure a U S passport or make sure you’re not up against needing a renewal. This can be a lengthy process so please don’t wait until the last minute.Do I need any special shots or vaccinations or can I just tell a doctor where I’m going and he will know?Check with a travel doctor for recommendations regarding inoculations. (You may want to ask your doctor for the name of a travel doctor). Do this as soon as possible, since a series of shots may be needed. Be prepared for some costs. A prescription for Malaria tablets and at least some inoculations can be anticipated in some cases.Make travel arrangements. Consider a travel agency if you’re not completely confident in your abilities to book your international travel on your own.
Most hunts with NB Safaris have 7 full days.
A date suggested would normally look as follows: 1 – 9 March. The 1st would be your arrival date and the 9th your departure date for example: on the 1st you would need to arrive in the late afternoon at O.R Tambo international airport (Johannesburg, South Africa)
This is where a representative from NB Safaris will collect you. Then on the 9th you will need to schedule your departure flight, in the evening from the same airport.I highly recommend purchasing the travel insurance through the airline. It’s a small price to pay when you book your flights well in advance. Life can be unpredictable.
Check your medical insurance policy and make arrangements for international coverage if it is not already included.• Purchase or borrow a heavy plastic or metal gun case, as this will be required by the airline.
• Ammunition needs to be packed separately in a lockable container and can go in your carry-on bags.
• Please check with the suggested VIP assist group on what is allowed (amount/weight and more)Decide on your hunting weapon appropriate for the game you’re planning to hunt. Neil recommends for African game nothing less than a 30 caliber firearm with 180gr bullets in a premium soft. You are allowed two rifles and we strongly suggest that you bring a backup rifle. The most popular rifle in Africa right now is a 375 H&H shooting a 300gr premium soft.Bringing firearms is a walk in the park as long as all of your documentation is in order.• Passport photo page in a clear scan showing your image (notarized)
• South Africa Police form (SAPS520), with the required portions completed
• A copy of your flight itinerary
• An Invitation Letter from the outfitter (this is the included in your NB Safaris folder)
• Your US 4457 customs form (notarized)
• Cash for the VIP assist.
Any official with the right to notarize may validate your documents.An US customs form will be given to you prior to landing in South Africa. This form asks for your destination in SA. The information you may use is:
NB Safaris, Farm Rietfontein, Sterkrivier, Limpopo Province, South Africa.Rifles and ammunition are available for rent through NB Safaris should you choose as well. Please check with Neil on what is available, pricing, terms and conditions and more.If you expect to need electrical service (to recharge camera, camcorder or shaver batteries, or use a hair dryer), an adapter and voltage converter will be needed. They can be found on amazon.com as well as Radio Shack at about $20-25 each.With years of experience in the hunting industry we have come to the conclusion that it is best to have your taxidermy mounted in South Africa and then shipped. The trophies on our clients walls represent their hunt therefor it is in our best interest to make sure they are of the highest quality. NB Safaris highly recommends using African Expressions for all your Taxidermy needs when hunting Africa.
To contact African Expressions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org• We accept USD cash and credit cards (Visa or Mastercard).
• Personal checks may be accepted by prior arrangement with Neil Barnard.
• Travellers checks are not accepted.• We do accept credit cards. Due to fees we are only able to process Visa or Master cards unfortunately.
• You need to contact your bank prior to coming over and inform them that you will be in South Africa along with potentially using your credit card.
• Note: The amount charged will need to be converted to Rand. There will be a 2.5% fee for the use of the facility.Please realize that your booking is not a confirmation and the dates are not reserved for you until NB Safaris has received the following items:
◦ Completed Reservation Forms
◦ Color Copies of the picture pages from your passports
Please submit a copy of your flight itinerary to NB Safaris no less than five months from the date of your reserved Safari.Here’s a suggested packing list for you to consider when loading your luggage for the upcoming African Safari:
• Flight Itinerary/Confirmation Number
• Binoculars (spotting scopes are not needed)
• Range finder (if you have one, but not needed)
• Two to three sets of hunting clothing in neutral colors. Lightweight and breathable are preferred. Long sleeves help prevent sunburn but can be rolled up and the safari style pants have the ability to zip off the lower leg and create shorts. (Laundry is done every second day). Temperatures can vary from 30-85F. Imagine hunting in Southern California. That is how it would be like. Camouflage is permitted and also suggested.
• Two hunting hats (spare in case of rain, you’ll always have a dry one to wear)
• Two pair of boots (same rationale as the hats, nobody likes hiking in wet boots)
• Camera/video camera with extra tapes/cards
• Backpack/Fanny pack
• Extra room for Souvenirs!
• Weapon(s) of choice and ammunition
• Extra socks
• Rain gear (We only suggest this for the months that have an “R” in it.)
• Power Adaptor and Converter to charge electronics
• Chargers for your electronics/phone
• Extra batteries for anything you’re bringing
• Reading material if you wanted to relax a little in the afternoon
• Write down the “collect call” numbers on the back of any credit cards you’re bringing.
• Sun block
• Headphones for in-flight movies/music
• Prescription Medicine
• Lip Balm (SPF 15+)
• Bathroom Items
• Razor/Shave Cream
• Dental Floss
• Antibacterial Wipes
• Glasses/Contacts and Solution
• Insect Repellent and a First Aid kit is available at the lodge should you need.
• Bring your favourite water bottle or hydration pack as well. To reduce waste, we supply filtered water to the lodge, instead of supplying thousands of disposable plastic water bottles to clients every year.It is suggested that you include copies of these items in with your checked luggage.
• Copy of passport
• Copy of your driver’s license and other ID
• Copy of completed SAPS520 Form
• Copy of airline ticket
• Copy of Invitation Letter from NB Safaris
• Copy of US4457 Custom Form
• Copy of your air travel itinerary
More QuestionsAuto ReplyThank you for your recent enquiry. We shall get back to you as soon as possible.
Signature (Supports HTML)Kind Regards